Friday, June 4, 2010

Melissa, Shannon, Spencer, and Audrey Visit part 1


So this was the weekend of the big race. It is my sister Melissa's first half marathon and she, her husband Shannon and my niece and nephew, Audrey and Spencer, were down.

They made it a great trip, with a drive down the Oregon and California Coast, including a trip to the Redwoods and the Avenue of the Giants.

They got here on Thursday and we had a nice dinner and got caught up.









The kids played and played, swam in the kids pool. The next day Emma and Sophie had school, but after school we all decided to go for a hike. Mind you, the next day was the half-marathon. Melissa and Beth would run the half-marathon. Spencer and Emma would run a 5K. Audrey, Sophie, and Myles would run a 1 mile kids race.



Everyone was up to it though. It was a beautiful day!! Especially when you think that they drove down the coast in rain.
We took them on our favorite hike 10 minutes away in the Diablo Hills Regional Park. Our favorite part of the park is called Castle Rock.

This is where we took our friends, the McClures last fall. It is our kids favorite for all of the different rock structures, caves, and wildlife.

What was different this time, though, is that last autumn we were just finishing the drought, so the creek beds were dry. So we did have to do some rock jumping and tree bridges.


Also, last time we did not see much poison oak. Now maybe it is that I have gotten it twice this year or there is more of it, but it was everywhere. That said, we made it without incident. Even when I found myself standing in the middle of it!!!


I think everyone had a lot of fun. The kids loved the expedition!!! I think it made Shannon a bit nervous; however, once we got to our favorite cave, I think he enjoyed it!!!










He and Spencer took a trail and climbed to the top of the peak in the first picture with Melissa.




Meanwhile the kids climbed around the cave.





It really isn't much of a cave; but the kids sure like climbing it.

The kids really got a long very well and loved playing with their uncle Shannon. After the hike we got back and made tacos and got in bed early.

We would get up at 4 AM so we could get to the race in Alameda to pick up the race packet by 6AM.

But that is the next post.

I think the kids really enjoyed this hike and I am so happy to be able to share this place with the niece and nephew.

By the way, I can't say how proud I am of my sister for running her race and all of the accomplishments she has done reaching this goal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment