Monday, April 26, 2010

Sophie's Field Trip

I am so happy that I have the ability go on the kids field trips. I am always amazed on how many fathers go on the trips. Normally I go one a year for each of the kids.





Sophie's latest field trip was one I couldn't miss - The California Academy of Science in San Francisco. It did mean taking the bus with 60 kindergartners; however, I really enjoyed my time with Sophie.

I was really surprised on how much Sophie enjoyed the museum.
She really enjoyed the stuffed animals. Hmmm...

There was a live African Penguin exhibit though, and we got there at feeding time. The kids were enthralled by the acrobatics of the the animals.
They of course enjoyed the Aquarium. I was surprised at the quality of the exhibits, it was on league with the Monterey and Long Beach Aquariums. It definitely was much better than the Aquarium of the Bay down at Fisherman's Wharf. We spent much of the morning there.


Each tank was broken up according to the different Pacific Coast environments, including a touch tank for the kids to touch the animals.

Of course Sophie had to see the Jellies and the albino alligator.


We later went back upstairs and saw the natural science section that explained the Galapagos Island and variation.


It was nice to spend time with her and her schoolmates. We had an hour and a half there, including lunch. So it ended up being a whirlwind visit. Lunch was fun too!!

After lunch it was time to get back to Concord and the long bus ride back. 1 hour in your standard school bus.
Actually, this trip to San Francisco was pretty interesting. I was amazed on how many of the kids on the bus had never been to San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Trans America Building.
Most of the kids had never been across the Bay Bridge.
One of the kids saw Coit Tower, turned to her dad and said, "Wow, look, there is the Tower of Pisa." Then the father explaining what it actually was.
San Francisco is only 21 miles away from Concord. I guess I have taken it for granted, especially since working there for the last 10 years. Or taking the kids in to the city for walks along Crissy Field or Fisherman's Wharf. Or going to Ocean Beach, driving home through the Presidio and Sea Cliff, and along the Embarcadero.
I feel soo privileged to be able to take the kids on their field trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment