Saturday, April 24, 2010

Our Vegetable Garden



On the south side of our house we have an orange tree and a lemon tree. Other than that, it becomes a weed patch and and a place for the opossums and neighbor's cats to take over.

So this year we thought we put this area to some use. We took one afternoon and weeded. The orange and lemon needed some pruning so we cut it back a bit.

I wish we had taken some before pictures, it looked pretty much like a jungle.

This is something I have always wanted to do with the kids.  I have always enjoyed planting.  I think it goes back when I was little.  My earliest memories was planting tomatoes with my grandpa Hugh.  This continued with helping him plant the grapes he would latter make into the best grape jelly.


I also remember in 2nd grade planting summer squash.  It was the first thing I had grown on my own. It was followed by crookneck squash. I remember how proud I was eating them for dinner that summer.
 It wasn't until we moved to Yucaipa that we truly had a real garden.  We planted corn, squash, beets, potatoes, Swiss Chard, Brussel sprouts.  We also planted strawberries in the front of the house.  We also had two peach trees.  I remember the homemade peach ice cream as well as canning a lot in that house.  We even had chickens and fresh eggs from our Rhode Island Reds.

So I am so happy that we have a house that we can do this as a family.  Everyone was involved.  The kids are such hard workers, Emma especially did an awesome job weeding.  I terraced the hill so that we could get the most of the area. 
Of course we planted tomatoes, zucchini summer squash, crookneck squash, and strawberries. We also planted peas, corn, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, and pumpkins.   It is going to be a fun summer project; however, it is something the kids are really looking forward to.  And I can't wait to the kids faces when we see the results of the efforts we put in.

It is going to be a fun summer!!





No comments:

Post a Comment